We are still awaiting word on the status of the fall 2020 season. Even though boys’ & girls’ crew is not an MIAA sport, we will still follow the directives of the MIAA and of the Shrewsbury High School Administration. We can at least tell you that 2 of our 4 regularly-scheduled fall races (the Head of the Riverfront and the Head of the Charles) have been officially cancelled by the respective race organizers. We have not received any additional information on the status of our remaining 2 races – the N.E. Junior & High School Regional Championship Regatta & the MPSRA Fall Championship Regatta. Please note, even if all of our races are cancelled, we will still hold our full slate of practices (assuming the SHS Administration allows it). We cannot afford to lose another season of training and team-bonding. If we do get permission to safely have a season, the first day of tryouts will not be until at least Monday, September 14. Please understand that various pieces of this “COVID puzzle” have to fall into place for our season to move forward. For example, the DRC, our “home field,” also houses other college and high school programs, so we would have to develop a system/schedule with all of these programs to ensure that all are safe. What we can definitely tell you is that IF tryouts take place, the following will have to be completed by all student-athletes, returning members & new members, before the first day of tryouts:
1. Tryouts will happen outside, rain or shine, so please dress accordingly. Workout clothes (dress in layers with something other than cotton), including running sneakers, must be worn. All student-athletes should eat well and stay hydrated.
2. Pre-registration for tryouts can be done through the parents’ account of PowerSchool, under the tab of “Sports and Activities”. This option is supposed to open beginning next week.
3. All physical exam forms must be up to date with SHS in order to tryout (no exceptions). Physical exams must have been administered within 13 months of the dates of tryouts.
4. Three electronic forms need to be completed by a combination of the Parent/Guardian and the Student-Athlete. Please use the following link (http://shrewsburycrew.org/links-forms/test/) to complete the electronic versions of the:
* Swim Aptitude
* SHS Alcohol & Substance Abuse Contract
* Emergency Contact Form
All student-athletes are required to register with USRowing. We ask that AFTER THE FINAL ROSTER IS MADE, you take a look at the “USRowing Waiver Form Instructions” on the same page as the other forms, and follow the directions listed on the document. In the past, all student-athletes would meet in the Commons of SHS, after school, by a designated time to carpool to the DRC. With the high school’s hybrid learning plan for this school year, transportation to the DRC for the start of each practice will have to be worked out. More details to follow on this as we approach the hopeful start of the season. Parent pick-up at the end of each practice will still take place in the large state boat ramp parking lot. Please do not come onto the DRC property for drop off or pick up.
Realizing that as of today, there are perhaps more questions than answers, do not hesitate to reach out to Matt Hastings, Head Coach, Girls’ Crew at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris Noble, Head Coach, Boys’ Crew at email@example.com.